Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fresh at the Farmers’ Market

We have a Saturday morning ritual: We go to the farmers' market. We used to go on Sundays, but the market in our neighboring town was a zoo! It was so crowded that I got pushed to the side-lines. Granted our neighboring town’s market has mostly organic fruits, vegetables, breads, meats and cheeses, and our town’s market mostly doesn't. But I can actually shop, pick and choose my produce at our farmers’ market, which is the whole point, isn't it? And, I regret to report this---our neighboring town’s market brought out the rudest behavior in people. Lots of pushing and shoving...Sorry everyone…I just can't get into it over tomatoes, corn and peaches.

So now we go to our town’s market. It's quite nice and located in the downtown plaza. Sometimes they even have a band playing (and not too loud!). The produce is fresh, local and very much in-season. The people seem cool and laid-back. And now I no longer have anxieties about being mowed down by somebody seeking tomatoes or flowers. It's such a happening and happy place that I took some video of the market, which I have yet to edit. (Maybe someday I'll get video on this blog too!)

Did I mention that Kathleen LOVES shopping at the farmers' market? She never forgets her re-usable canvas bags and smiles the whole way through the market. Afterwards, she tells me over and over again how we got "some good food."

I'm happy too for the opportunity to be mingling and shopping with my neighbors. The market on the plaza has become a meeting place for long lost friends and colleagues. Somehow it seems more likely to meet like-minded friends at the farmers' market.

I guess shopping at the farmers' market is now the "thing to do," and we're doing it too. Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment