Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Love This Sport

One of my favorite things is happening...the US Open (Tennis) in New York City. We went to it in 2004, and Oh My God...it was like a Disneyland for tennis junkies. More tennis being played than you can imagine. And more tennis superstars than you'll ever see in any one place in the USA.

Usually we watch the Open from our living room. Kathleen at work is known for taking off the second week of the Open for her vacation. At home she sets herself up from the vantage point of our living room couch and watches match after match on all the channels broadcasting the Open: ESPN, The Tennis Channel and CBS. She even sets up her laptop so she can watch two matches at the same time. As if that's not enough engagement, my dearest is also busy knitting yet another sweater, with of course the cats requiring attention intermittently. And she complains she never does anything!

Meanwhile I'm keeping an eye on my favorite champions and watching also for the next up-and-comer-superstar. I predicted Nadal would be a winner, but my crystal ball has been murky for women's tennis. Well, so has a lot of other people's lately.

But this year's eyes are all on Serena Williams. She's a fierce champion and an American, which are two things both the media and the public love. She also can be quite theatrical, and her presence adds some excitement to the whole Open. Tennis has never been sedate when Serena plays.

If Serena stays healthy, she probably is your best bet for the women's side. I don't know what kind of odds Vegas has on her, but you'll probably make more than even money. However, at this point, there's been so much hype about Serena returning triumphantly to win the Open that we may be convinced she already has done so before she steps out on the Women's Final Match court.

A lot of matches have yet to be played. So I'm taking a wait and see approach before handing Serena the US Open trophy. Actually, I'd rather be surprised by an under-rated underdog winning the Open, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment