Sunday, March 18, 2012

Maybe a Little Make-Up

To wear make-up or not to wear make-up? That's the question for the 50+ lesbian. We have the shining and inspiring example of Ellen, who looks great as the 50-something Covergirl. (At her age it should be Coverwoman, but I'll let it go this time...) 

It's almost too good to be true. A mature woman albeit blond, thin and  cute as a button, selling make-up in a pant suit and short pixie hair-cut. Is this just more of the Ellen phenomenon, or has someone discovered that there might be another niche market among women---lesbians?
 
Well, I for one broke down and bought some Covergirl foundation. When I was younger, I wore foundation everyday to cover my uneven skin tones. As middle-age approached, I gave up the foundation and went natural. Personally I felt my looks suffered for it. But the peer-pressure to NOT wear make-up was overpowering, and I caved. Also, it was easy to become lazy and let myself go.
 
Now at 50 I want to do all that I can afford to look my best. I'm tired of looking tired. If a little foundation makes the difference between me feeling worn-out and beaten-down and a little more perky, then I'm using the foundation.
 
Now many would say I've entered the realm of femmes with all this make-up talk. I differ with you. Men now have their own cosmetics as well as women. So there. It's no longer about being butch or femme. It's about taking care of your skin and looking your best.
 
So when you consider all of this, you must remember that I'm from LA where even the local CVS has a cosmetic department that would rival our department stores' cosmetics counters. And I for one believe that while appearances are not everything, taking care of yourself speaks volumes about yourself.

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Make up or no? I, for one, refuse to go into my little crummy 3rd world town without, at minimum, under eye concealer, my brows softly filled in (use powder), a bit of mascara, and lip gloss (even if it's Burt's Bees--and not the full on L'Oreal all day tint that I pull out for the big occasions!).

    Femme? Well, I am probably wearing Birkenstocks, jeans and a flannel shirt with the above face paint. Does that make me confused? Whatever.

    Look good. Feel good. Be healthy and happy. And...don't put anything on your skin for moisturizing and sun protection that you wouldn't eat.

    ReplyDelete