Monday, March 26, 2012

Please Not Another Potluck!

I have not been to a LGBT bar in years, but I can't seem to get away from the potluck invitations. It's a staple of middle-age lesbian life: we do games and potluck get-togethers in someone's home. These social events are private and very exclusive. You either have to be a friend-of-a-friend or have answered the email on your city's lesbian listserv. No, but really, most of the time you have got to know somebody to get invited. And the group is relatively small---under 40.

But we must discuss the food. I've wheeled out my Greek salad with feta and olives several times. I picked up this salad from a neighborhood cafe and loved it. So I reproduced it and thought how nice it would be to bring it to a potluck. The salad bombed, big time! Too exotic and foreign for most people. I did notice that the deviled eggs and tuna salad were a big hit. Such is my fate! Oh well, more for me.

And then there's the fun and games. Kathleen and I belonged to a mahjongg group for a while. This group had two tables going every Friday night. But as in all things, everyone's schedules started conflicting. Also, we had too many alphas in our group. A couple of people became slightly cut-throat competitive and that killed the joy of playing the game for the rest of us.

And so for our group, game night broke up.

But we'll get another invitation to a game night soon, and another potluck won't be far behind. Or just maybe we'll all do something other than game night and potluck. How does ping-pong and billiards in a sports bar sound to you? Or a theatre group? I'll consider it. Will you?