Monday, March 5, 2012

Poor, Poor Cherry Tree Is Poor No More

She got pruned today. Our poor cherry tree got three to four feet "topped off." She now has a lovely sculptured look about her. Later she'll get injected around her base with fertilizer pellets, and then we wait. We wait for her to bloom beautiful double-petaled pink flowers.

Like most cherry trees in DC, she's an ornamental variety. I don't feel cheated that she doesn't bear fruit. I'm not much of a cherry-picker myself. Heck, the pink double-petals make quite a mess on their own. Typically the tree blooms for about a week, and then pink petals rain from the tree. The first day of "petal rain" carpets the sidewalks around the house with a good two to three inches of petals.

Of course all that former beauty becomes work. A job of constant sweeping, two to three times a day, takes its toll. And soon our poor, poor cherry tree doesn't seem quite so beautiful anymore.

But I remember the week of full bloom. And the beautiful pink light she cast in both my kitchen and bedroom.

I'm so glad we saved our tree from "removal." Because, you know, now cherry pink is my favorite color.

No comments:

Post a Comment