Saturday, May 11, 2013

Saturday Nights Then and Now

Saturday night is the one night where we are usually free from work and still have Sunday to recover from our foolishness on Saturday. When I was young I engaged in a lot of foolishness on Saturday nights. I loved the discos in my youth. Gay discos that were wild, sensual and crowded. I remember the press of sweaty bodies on the dance floor. We didn't really dance; we swayed to the beat like some underwater creature swimming in the ocean depths. Well I had fun. Sure I drank too much and well did too much of everything too. But we were young and it was "Saturday Night!"

Now I'm over 50 and settled down with my partner of 17 years. What do we do on Saturday nights? When we're "up for it", we go out for sushi and then come home to jazz on my iPhone while we play Words With Friends and Farmville 2 on our respective laptops. Kathleen, my partner, may also be knitting and I'll be wondering whatever will my writers group think of my screenplay treatment.

When I was young I was hot. Now I'm cooler than the jazz we listen to. But all of this is ok. For a while I wanted my youthful Saturday nights back. But I'm okay now with those days being pleasant memories. Nowadays I'm content, calm and peaceful. Just right. Oh, the jazz we listen to is from an app called Jazzbird. It's free and cool too. Check it out some Saturday night...

No comments:

Post a Comment