Friday, September 16, 2011

The Change

I guess you could say that both my partner and I are going through “The Change." It's subtle in many ways. There's of course, the forgetfulness or short-term memory loss. There are also the hot flashes or the "warm flashes", as Kathleen puts it. Oh, yeah, then there's the icky night sweats too. And what about all that weight gain and how it's next to impossible to lose twenty pounds?

Definitely not fun! But for all the hormonal fluctuations “The Change” puts us through, it has one noticeable benefit --- improvements in self-confidence.

Nowadays, I am confident that I'm the standard of what's normal. Basically, if there's a problem, it's not me it's them. Compare that to my insecure and angst-ridden twenties and you wouldn't believe I was the same person. Now all that increased testosterone floating through my system is no doubt contributing to this new edgier self. I believe in myself as only a medieval warrior does when storming a castle’s walls. And when driving, I always have the right-of-way.

But for all the changes, it's also nice to feel at ease with myself. Sure we all don't look or feel as sexy as we did 30 years ago, but I'd gladly give up all the accompanying drama that went with being young, beautiful and available. But then again, that's just me!

Lately, I’ve even noticed that young people defer a little to me and Kathleen. And I wonder how we ever got old enough for that. But the scary thing is now our generation is running the world. The problem is there's no one better to run it. It's just us guys...hot flashes and all...

No comments:

Post a Comment