Friday, September 23, 2011

In My Movie

You know how every town and industry has its own lingo? Well, I grew up in LA and went to UCLA. So as you might guess, I was surrounded by movies and their magic from the time I’d watch black and white movie classics with my mother as a pre-teen to now when I pick up another Netflix movie from the postbox.

When I was growing up movies were my portal to the outside world since I was stuck in conventional suburbia (and just hating it). But I didn’t just watch movies. No, I imagined movies or more precisely my future life as a movie. In Hollywood lingo, this is called imagining your own personal movie.

I guess you could say I have an active imagination. But ever since I left home at 18, I’ve been living out my imagination, whether it was horseback riding on the beach in Baja, Mexico or when I was working in Washington, DC for a progressive professional association that was just a short walk away from the US Capitol buildings.

It seems like life itself needs to be imagined and then willed into being. I know this is a Hollywood philosophy and from people who have more imagination than common sense. But there’s just something attractive and thrilling about being “in your own movie.”

So the next time you pop in a DVD into the recorder, hit the pause button and imagine what’s going on “in your movie” a year from now. You’ll probably be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment