Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fresh Air

At 50 years of age, I often find myself looking backwards and wondering how things might have turned out if I had turned left versus right at crucial moments during my life. Of course, I’ll never know what would have happened, but it’s an amusing pastime.

Most often I’m intrigued about how my life would have progressed if I had chosen a different occupation. I ended up in psychology research, but my heart was really into journalism and social work. There just doesn’t seem to be enough productive years in a lifetime to do two or maybe three careers. And getting the necessary education, whether that be a master’s or even just a bachelor’s, has become very expensive for one career let alone getting the training for a second or “encore” career. Somehow making a career switch for the sake of love and happiness just isn’t so feasible in these difficult economic times.

So what do you do if you need some fresh air in your life? If you can’t change jobs, you can change your recreational activities or volunteer at your local zoo, school or hospital. You’ll meet new people who are doing things that are new to you. You’ll be refreshed, and you’ll probably make friends too.

For the most part, retirement gives one “refreshing” opportunities to do things close to one’s heart. You’ll be amazed at how many things or ideas interest you when the stress and strain of working drops away from your life.

I may not have another paying job, but my interests and hobbies are taking me on exciting adventures whether it’s “chatting” on email listservs or blogging to a community dear to my heart. I sorta get to be the social worker/journalist I always wanted to be. You see, I’m a volunteer now. And you know, in a way, it’s a whole lot easier when you don’t get paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment