Saturday, October 20, 2012

Choice Point or Two

Our choices tell so much about us. Like what's important or where we're aiming to go. Today I came to such a choice point.

We were strolling through an outdoor street market which had vendors who sold clothing, jewelry and Asian masks. I was especially interested in this one mask, a Hindu mask with its tongue sticking out. It was a serious mask and yet humorous too. Very intriguing. So I asked the price. The vendor after a little bit of fumbling replied $120 but I'll take 25% off. I did the math and came up with $90. Too expensive for the quality. But then maybe I'm comparing my mask shopping karma with Kathleen's. She bought me a Ganesh mask in San Fransico for $25 and it's a wonderful mask. Quite inspiring too. But my mask karma is different. More difficult and more expensive. I'm this way in all things. Everything costs me more and is harder to find.

So as I'm dithering about whether to empty my pockets of all my cash in order to buy this cool mask, Kathleen pipes up and says "It could be an early xmas present." Now I take my xmas gift points (and presents) like a serious business matter. Because you see I have my heart set on getting a iPhone. It will be a big upgrade and very complicated at first. And I'm already anticipating the frustrations it will bring. But I'm ready for this smart phone even though I'm still not convinced I'm smart enough to use it.

So I answer Kathleen's generous offer with, "I'll pass on the mask, I really want a iPhone for xmas. Or I'll just get it for myself. But I'm really in the market for one." Full of good nature, Kathleen responds with "Well, maybe the mask will still be here next Saturday and we'll get it then."

This is how my choices go for me. I really want all of the choices but must often bargain for the one I really want. I rarely get all of the choices. But then, I'm just grateful to have choices.

And so I've chosen a 21st century smart phone over a Hindu mask. Who's to say which one would actually do more for me. Maybe Kathleen's right. Maybe I'll be back at the market next week. My mask collection could always use an addition...

No comments:

Post a Comment