Tuesday, October 9, 2012

TV Ads: Bearing Witness

Should I be watching TV now? The political campaign ads have started to run. Do I really need to bear witness? Aside from making me feel angry and hopeless, will watching these anti-marriage-equality and anti-Obama ads educate me, sway my vote or in any way heighten my consciousness?

The answer is no. I'm only a voter nowadays. I'm not even a bit political player or a volunteer. Last election I worked on M street, which is just around the corner from K street. During the '08 campaign I was in the thick of it and it was great. I remember seeing Bush's Press Secretary at a lunch spot that I ate at too. I felt like I had arrived or at least I was rubbing elbows with people who had arrived.

Nowadays I get my news (read: propaganda) on Facebook. I love this social media, but its virtual reality will never replace the nowness of being there in the flesh.

But I have retired from the fray of politics. Now I just share on Facebook. And sometimes I think I've shared too much and too often. (One's home page is really a very private space on Facebook.) But I still follow the postings because in many ways that's my connection to the outside world. So please share. I love it when things go viral!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment