Saturday, October 6, 2012

Now I'm Happy

"Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness"

For much of my adult life I was unhappy. It was hard to be a woman, Jewish, and a lesbian. I faced a lot of bigotry and discrimination. The only thing I had going for me was an above average IQ. But even my intellect couldn't undo the prejudice that surrounded me. I met obstacles every day and in almost every moment.

So how does one be happy when this is your life? I escaped into books and music. I had a passion for film and even co-wrote a screenplay that unfortunately didn't get produced. And I wrote before I had a computer (on a typewriter, remember those?) and a lot more when I finally got a PC.

Writing has always been my passion. Sometimes It's been hard to write from my life experiences since most of those experience have something gay about them. But neverthless, I've been out in print since my student days at UCLA. I've tried to live a life that isn't sub-divided between lesbian and non-lesbian lots.

Being out publicly as a lesbian is the best thing I've ever done. Sure I've taken my hits but it's brought me more happiness than I can imagine. I've met wonderful people who are also on the path of being out and open, and these people have been inspirations to me and others.

I'd like to encourage all those LGBT people who are still not out and open. It's another world once you're out and open. And nowadays you have strength in numbers behind you. You won't be alone. Heck, you can watch Ellen on TV for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment