Monday, August 6, 2012

Following or Vacuum??

Does this happen to you often?

Kathleen and I are out and about. And we walk into a store or a restaurant, and it's almost completely empty. If it's a restaurant, we sit down at a table and look at the menu. And when we look up to order, the restaurant is now full with people waiting to sit down. I often just write it up to "we beat the lunch/dinner crowd". But we don't always go to restaurants at lunchtime or dinnertime. We've gone between 2 pm to 4 pm and still brought in a crowd behind us. My rational mind says "It was tea time".

Every so often Kathleen and I go to a shopping mall. We like empty stores to shop in. It's more like personal shopping that way. So we're walking around and looking for an interesting store to walk into. We find some place that we like, and we often walk into an empty store, which suits us just fine. In no less than five minutes the store is full of people shopping. If I haven't found something to buy by then, I'm leaving empty-handed now.

Now my logical minds says that nature abhors a vacuum, and an empty restaurant or store is just like a vacuum. Kathleen and I just happen to be the first people inside the vacuum. If I was feeling weird, I'd say we had a following. But I'm not. I took physics in college so I'm going with the vacuum story. What's your explanation?

1 comment:

  1. Diane, you like to go into an empty store or a restaurant. A lot of people don't; they won't enter unless there are other customers. Alternate explanation is that you don't have followers per se, your energy field is attractive and others looking for direction will follow. Without the woo woo stuff, you look confident and comfortable and that draws in others.

    ReplyDelete