Thursday, August 16, 2012

Marilyn's Ghost Might Be Here

Amazingly enough, I did some touristy things while in LA. We went to the Grove, which I highly recommend if you like outdoor shopping and a cool farmer's market. The Grove is an outdoor plaza with winding streets and stores that would be the envy of any covered mall. We only went briefly into the Nordstrom, but I would have liked to pop into Barnes & Noble as well.

And at last I bought my long-coveted Panamaian hat (that of course is made in China). These Panamaian hats have become iconic at the French Open (tennis) for two years now. I almost tracked one down at the online merchandise store of the French Open. But I had no luck. It took going to LA and shopping under the shadows of the CBS Studios to find my hat.

But the best touristy thing we did was going to the beach in Malibu. While the rest of LA was sweltering in a heatwave, we sat watching the ocean waves at a beachfront bar and restaurant. The Sunset Inn has a long history with some stories mentioning that this little beach restaurant had been known as "Marilyn's (Monroe) place." I tried to pick up a Marilyn vibe, but I believe that too much time has passed even for the acutely aware. Nevertheless, the beach and ocean waves lent itself to day dreams and wanderings of the imagination.

So, you see, you can still go back home and be a tourist. I think I've figured it out: It's just a state of mind. Maybe Kathleen and I will take a tour somewhere interesting again...

No comments:

Post a Comment