Friday, January 20, 2012

Even Small Victories Are Sweet

Yesterday afternoon there was a knock at the front door. It was five minutes before I was to leave to pick up Kathleen at the Metro. I often don't answer the door when I'm home alone because I just don't know what I'll have to deal with.

Well, this time I answered the door, and on the other side stood a middle-age working class man who looked like he was in charge.

"Hi Ma'am. As you can see from my van (which had a large sign painted Capitol Meats with flesh-color cuts of meats painted over the entire van), we're selling meat. Would you be interested?"

"Sorry. I'm a vegetarian"

His face falls. "There seems to be a lot of that going around."

"Yeah." And with a smile I closed the door. While I'm not a strict vegetarian (I eat a little chicken, turkey, and fish), I did enjoy bursting the bubble of this merchant of red meat. Even small victories are sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment