Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Rotation of About a Handful

Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. Since I'm home a lot, I get to do a lot of household chores. It's hard to not feel like a housewife with an income, albeit a small one. And then there's always MORE chores to do than can get done or that I want to do. So, like a housewife I'm never ahead of the game but almost always playing behind the eight ball.

So what do I do when I'm not home? We do errands and eat out. If it wasn't so hard on the wallet and the waistline, I could review a lot of restuarants we eat out at. Some boast many stars, and others are barely hole-in-the-walls. But to be frank, we're running out of new finds. We do the rotation of about a handful. And the handful is local. It's a deal to go into DC and eat there. We do it occasionally, but because of the limited parking getting there usually involves a combination of Metro and taxis.

Another reason I think we avoid going into DC is because local is far more gentle than the big city downtown intensity of DC. As I age I'm more drawn to the familar and less likely to go for the "adventure." I swore I wouldn't be like this when I was young, but I just can't fight Mother Nature I guess.

But still, we have our favorite restuarants...a place for a steak....a place for a milk shake...or maybe a place for a salad or good deli. Sure we'd like them all to be a little better in quality, but hell, at least we've got them. And sometimes its OK to be happy with what you have. Gee, I guess, retirement really is pretty sweet after all.