Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Get Me Out of the Box!!!

Several years ago I kept hearing about getting out of the box or just thinking outside the box. Well, I started to think about boxes, how many are in my life and in the world where I live. I mean almost everything is a box: your house, your stores, your car or even your fridge.  And if you're really into diagrams I bet you could create a box for your job, your partner and your cat. The box is a paradign that is just about everywhere.
 
But as I often think about lesbians and our culture, I realized that we have quite masterfully created our own boxes for our own unqiue culture. There's the ordinary boxes of butch and femme, but for our sexuality and our relationships, we even have more labels and their corresponding boxes than the mainstream culture has for straight people. Perhaps it's because we have so much in common with each other and yet so little in common with each other too. Or to put it another way:  just because we are everywhere doesn't mean we are all alike.
 
Many of us look for our lesbian sub-group and often find common interests and identities. We find our box. A few of us create our own boxes. And dare I say, the enlightened ones skip the boxes and just wing it through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment