Saturday, July 7, 2012

Why I Tip Well

Ok, I believe in tipping well. It all goes back to my grandfather Sam. Sam was the kind of man who took care of the people who took care of him. And he did more than just say thank you. He put money in the palm of your hand. The arrangement was, if you took care of Sam, Sam took care of you.

I'm Sam's granddaughter in the ways of tipping. For me it's not just a pay supplement to low wages. It's also a way to show gratitude for services that in most cases are above and beyond the call of duty. In many ways service people are your short-term contract employees for a meal, haircut, or a manicure. But above all else a tip shows gratitude for the service and to varying degrees your satisfaction with their performance.

Today I tipped the grocery delivery driver who brought my groceries into the kitchen for me. It was over 100 degrees outside, and I appreciated his work ethic. His job was far from easy or comfortable. So I tipped him. I may never see him again. I rarely get the same delivery driver. But I guess I gave him a handsome tip as an offering to karma or just to the gods and goddesses that govern gratitude.

Sam would have approved and smiled.