Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Waiting for a Thunderstorm

These days we are in constant touch with weather.com. What's the temperature going to be? What's the forecast for storms? Will it be humid and what will the heat index be? Or are we under another excessive heat advisory, or maybe a tornado watch, or are we just expecting another late afternoon shower?
 
I've always kinda been into weather since I've lived on the East Coast. There isn't much weather in Southern California. Somehow day after day of sunny and 75 degrees doesn't count in the weather drama department. But boy is it different here in the Mid-Atlantic. We've got drama and disasters here.
 
So I've become a weather geek of sorts. Don't have any degrees or formal education. It's just entertainment to me. And now the advent of global warming makes it really exciting. We've got severe weather almost all the time.
 
But really, I'm very concerned about climate change and what we all are going to do about it. We're driving less, and I'd like our next car to be a hybrid. Somehow I don't think that's enough. I just hope we all figure out what will be enough and then do it. Because if the weather is any indication, I think Mother Nature is really miffed.