Thursday, July 21, 2011

Forgetful After Fifty

I don't know about you, but lately I can't remember what I have in the frig. And I do the shopping! Oh, yes, I know that all I need to do is open the frig and look. But sometimes when I have to pitch a menu of dinner options to my beloved at the Metro Kiss n Ride, I've got to know what I have on hand. And I just don't know what I've got.
It’s the same when it comes time to do grocery shopping. I do it the place-an-order-on-the-internet-and-they-deliver-it-to-me method. So I don't need to leave my laptop and arm chair. And the problem is, I don't. For some reason I trust my memory of what we've got on hand, which is a foolish old woman's vanity. The result is that I over buy. At last count, we had 4 bottles of laundry detergent, 10 bags of coffee and 4 jars of spaghetti sauce. (And I'm sure I'm forgetting something!)
This weekend I'm doing grocery shopping the old-fashioned way. I'm taking an inventory, making a list and going to the grocery store. I'll try to buy only what's on my list. But I'll be tempted to buy goodies. I guess I'll just have to tell myself that if I keep pushing the cart, I'll forget about it. Because you know I will.

1 comment: