Thursday, July 28, 2011

Clicking Chopsticks

I love food, don't you? Well, my favorite food for the moment is Asian. Not just the Chinese that they will deliver to your door. Oh no! I like it all. The Thai, the Vietnamese, the Burmese, the Chinese and the ultimate: the Japanese!

I was introduced to Japanese when I was eight years old and visiting family in Tokyo way back in 1969. We got the grand tour and my uncle being a foodie gave us memorable dining experiences. Well, my palate had been conditioned and ever since I have been in search of my favorite food: SUSHI.

Sushi is everywhere nowadays. It’s prepared and sold in grocery stores, food courts in malls, and yes, restaurants both low-end and high-end. What varies is quality, quantity, freshness and price. I have sampled sushi in all of its different venues. And depending on your cash-flow and your mood, I'd say go for the most you can afford. Also trust your instincts about the fish's freshness. Such as, if the sushi place is doing a brisk business, the fish most likely isn't sitting a long time in the glass case---a good sign of freshness.

Also, sushi requires an adventuresome spirit for most Americans. Most of us can't pronounce the morsels of fish that we will consume and many of us have no idea which ones to order. Be brave and experiment. You'll like some and others you won't like. But you will have at least tried it. That's what's great about sushi---It pushes your boundaries!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment