Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Tough Cookie

Lately, I haven't felt like such a tough girl. Maybe it’s been the not smoking. There's something about a cigarette dangling from your mouth that just evokes that tough girl aura. Well no longer for me. And maybe all that bravado I had was really a by-product of the nicotine and caffeine that I was ingesting. So now I'm calm and not quite as passionate about things. I find myself not caring about political issues and quite apathetic at times.

The big issues consumed my life for many decades; in many ways I neglected myself and my own life. Well now I've discovered the notion of self-interest, and believe me, it doesn't always contradict with your social/political/economic altruism. And since my progressive politics are now considered centrist by some, the world has evolved enough for me to relax a little. My fighting days at the front lines are over. At times I feel like a place-holder or at other times like a sacred observer. It’s very different than being a warrior or an activist.

So now I'm more interested in reflection than advancing a cause. I'm just trying to make sense out of it all. So what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment