Friday, September 7, 2012

How-To-Give-a-Gift-for-the-Winter-Holidays Guide

There's more than one way to give a gift. Yes, really...

Kathleen and I guessed what the other one wanted for our first few years. There was definitely a big surprise factor. But the flops were big too. And we often got what we thought the other one NEEDED to get. That wasn't much fun. So the surprise method with no guidance proved too risky. Next few years we took to making lists, detailed lists with instructions on where to buy and how much to spend. While this guidance method usually got you what you wanted, it often felt like someone else was just doing your shopping for you and then did a nice gift-wrapping job. But then it almost eliminates risk, surprise and over spending.

And then there's the let's-go-shopping-and-get-you-something-you-want method. When we went to malls and department stores, this method was my favorite. Because I really got what I wanted. I picked it out. The only uncomfortable aspect is when your partner ponies up and pays for your gift. I often found myself distracted by some other items for sale until the transaction was completed.

So this year I'm doing a wish list with Internet sites that have photos of the item I want; sort of a modified guidance method. First item on my list is a  laughing Buddha. You've seen him. He's often in the foyers of Chinese restaurants. I just need a smaller rendition and I'll be happy. Just need a big belly to rub.

I guess we all have some time to work up the rest of our lists (with Internet addresses and photos). But start thinking about what you want now, so your partner and/or friends and family have time to make your wish list fly...

No comments:

Post a Comment