Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Amelia Earhart Luggage

Amelia Earhart...What do you think of her? I think she's one of the first women to do something truly adventuresome. Heck, she did a transatlantic flight in not much more than a bi-plane. And she was truly famous. She even wrote two books about her life and her aviation adventures. And then that last flight where she mysteriously disappears. She just vanished somewhere. Now that's glamorous!!!

Little did I know that my gift of Amelia Earhart luggage from my New York grandfather had such a legacy. The one piece of luggage he sent me was bright red (won't miss that at the baggage pick-up) and had Amelia Earhart's name emblazoned on it. My dear grandfather was encouraging me to fly from LA to NYC. I was 12 years old. In two years I made the flight, and wow was it an eye-opener for my first time away from home.

NYC was nothing like LA. It snowed! Okay, it was December, but it snowed overnight. And there was so many more people and so much traffic. And everything was intense. Even the quiet museums had intense exhibits. Everything was just "One Big Wow."

LA might be mecca if you like good weather. But what I quickly learned from my NYC adventure was that the East Coast could be a feast for your soul if you were an intense type.

That Amelia Earhart luggage inspired me to do my own transcontinential flight. Thanks grandpa! Little did he know that I would move to the East Coast years later. I guess the trip made an impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment