Saturday, September 1, 2012

Normal May Be Gone. But Acceptable Is In.

Have you ever felt that you were at the TOP of your world and in a MOMENT that you'll remember for the rest of your life? These TIMES are usually marked by a feeling of slow-down or slow-motion. I got that feeling when I went with my family to the rotating cocktail lounge on the top floor of the World Trade Center (yes, it was before 9/11/2001.) The wait staff moved very elegantly and with great poise. I was impressed. Capitalism sure had its high points.

A lot has transpired since then. On 9/11, I was working on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. It took me 3 hours to get home. And boy was I grateful to be home when I got there! We were all terribly traumatized. The day after I remember people crossing the deserted DC streets in a daze and looking somewhat stricken and glazed about the eyes. "Normal" was gone.

There's been a lot of talk lately about "NORMAL." We talk about how it's gone now, doesn't exist any longer or how we've moved into the "NEW NORMAL." Quite frankly, I'm glad we're moving beyond the social confines of "normal." Normal was always too narrow for me. I welcome the wider expanse of "acceptable." Doesn't that sound freer than normal to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment