Sunday, September 23, 2012

I've Gone Mobile

I went to Panera today. At 7:30 am with a crowd of coffee seekers and early morning people. I got there so early to beat the traffic that consumes Georgia Avenue even on Saturday mornings.

So I'm one of "those people" now. I bought a light-weight laptop for just these mobile occasions. It was easy to connect to the wifi, but the signal was weak. I couldn't bring up Facebook or Yahoo. What will I do? I surfed the real media, CNN, NYT and the BBC, and quickly got depressed.

There must be some happy sites out there. Something for a quick pick-me-up that doesn't involve religion or motivational speakers. Maybe I should have gotten caffeinated coffee, but that would have put me at 3 cups before 8 am, and I don't zoom that well any more.

I really missed my Facebook. I missed all my liked pages. I missed all the pages about cats, hippies, Buddhism and a little politics thrown in for good measure. Now you must understand I woke up at 5:30, made coffee, and looked at my Facebook. I had only been without my Facebook for a few hours. Just goes to show you that I've become a Facebook junkie.

We all need something to fill our free time with. For many it's TV, music or any chosen hobby. I fill my time with the Internet. I've been warned against it. But for someone interested in news, research and writing, it's a dream come true. I'm intellectually stimulated and easily amused in one place. Needless to say I spend hours on the Internet. I'm completely transfixed.

For better or worse, I now take a laptop with Internet capabilities to public places. If I could only have a wifi implant, I'd truely be mobile. But I guess that's what a smart phone or tablet does. So maybe my Xmas list will have another device on it. And then I'll never be without my dear Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment